The history of this Southern home will blow you away! To say this home is loaded with charm would be an understatement. It was built back in the 1800’s on the Biloxi River and was the home of the Stiglet’s who bought it after the Civil War for logging and shipping trade. An unusual feature of the home is an in-door well from which water was drawn and is still there today. This home features a beautifully updated kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops; 4 charming fireplaces, original lumber from the 1800s, gazebo, in-ground pool, hot tub, cabana, and outhouse. It all sits on 2.1 acres and gated! There is a 5 car garage with extra living space that includes a loft, bedroom and full bathroom. Come see the majestic oaks that surround this amazing property!
A Glimpse of the History at 13160 Old Woolmarket Road
When the railroad came to the Gulf Coast at the turn of the century, killing traffic on the inland waterways, an exciting and colorful era ended at Woolmarket.
The two-masted schooners from New Orleans and Mobile stopped coming up the Biloxi River to Stiglet’s Landing, located on a quiet lagoon. And without even bothering to remove the merchandise, they closed the store and warehouse where the boats tied up.
Until this time, Woolmarket, located 12 miles northeast of Gulfport , had lived up to its name: It was a market place for wool.
Settlers from as far as 100 miles away went there in ox-drawn freight wagons, loaded with wool, rosin, beeswax and charcoal. These things were traded for staple goods, brought in on the schooners.
Since the traders frequently had to “lay over” until the boats arrived, Stiglet’s Landing was the scene of much activity.
It was Captain Stiglet who, soon after the Civil War, located at Woolmarket and bought the house and landing site from it’s builder, George Grayson.
Captain Stiglet deepened the lagoon to the river as a landing for his fleet of five coast-wise schooners. At the height of the early lumber and wool industry, he employed more than 500 men in logging and shipping.
The Stiglets Landing site remained in the family for many years. As late as 1957, two of Captain Stiglet’s daughters lived in the old home place on the Biloxi River.